Re: RAM usage of applications?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: RAM usage of applications?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 10:07:29 -0500

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:03 AM egarrulo <address@hidden> wrote:

I mean full support for every language feature. I guess that some
language features - like "eval" and macros - may impact memory
requirements significantly. Please note that I am not a Scheme
programmer (yet).

Macros are done at compile time and cost nothing at run time.

Sure, but there should be a lower limit, due to the runtime. For
instance, a "Hello World" program compiled with SBCL (Common Lisp) can
require dozens of megabytes. Anything else that the application does,
will add to that.

The Scheme program (print "Hello world") compiled on Windows and stripped produces a 12K executable.  Chicken, like many other Schemes but Common Lisp, is modularized: if you don't use a feature (within reason) it is not included.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        address@hidden
May the hair on your toes never fall out!  --Thorin Oakenshield (to Bilbo)