Re: [Chicken-users] (hostinfo-addresses (hostname->hostinfo (get-host-na

From: Matt Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] (hostinfo-addresses (hostname->hostinfo (get-host-name)))))) => returns only one address
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:43:54 -0700

Hi Vasilij,

While it would be great if you decided to port hostinfo, note that unfortunately with the hostinfo-addresses bug it is not much use to me. We have some code that seems to work ok for now: http://www.kiatoa.com/cgi-bin/fossils/ulex/artifact/5fd65e8732654017 so I am not blocked by this. I was hoping to leverage an existing egg but that is not critical. If Jim Ursertto sees this perhaps he can comment on his plans.

Thanks,

Matt

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 12:30 AM Vasilij Schneidermann <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Matt,

> BTW, I don't see a hostinfo egg for Chicken 5. Is porting hostinfo planned
> or is the functionality available in a different egg?

There is no such thing as a grand plan to port all the eggs, it's been
done so far on a case-by-case basis.  If someone really needs an egg,
they'll port it and notify the author or maintainer of the required
changes.  Some authors and maintainers are proactive about it and port
all of their eggs, but that's apparently not the case for this one.

Looking further at it, it appears it was written by Jim Ursetto who put
up some ported eggs on https://github.com/ursetto recently, but not that
one yet.  From personal experience porting his eggs is challenging due
to use of macros, internal stuff and other trickery.  This one doesn't
look too bad though, I could give it a try if you like.

Vasilij

Complexity is your enemy. Any fool can make something complicated.
It is hard to keep things simple. - Richard Branson.