[Chicken-users] Mapping the idiosyncrasies of building the OpenSSL egg o

From: Lassi Kortela
Subject: [Chicken-users] Mapping the idiosyncrasies of building the OpenSSL egg on many operating systems
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 15:03:20 +0300

I investigated how to get openssl working on all the major BSD-derived operating systems. Here are the results: <https://misc.lassi.io/2019/chicken-openssl/chicken-openssl-pkg-config.text>

The shell script used and the build logs I got are here: <https://misc.lassi.io/2019/chicken-openssl/>

Only the OpenBSD-packaged version of chicken-install (4.13.0) shows compiler warnings. It's also the only chicken-install I have that advertises in its help screen that it has a "-debug" flag (which I enabled for the build). Is there an equivalent flag to show compiler stuff in the never versions? The -verbose flag doesn't seem to do it.

Adding some flag(s) to chicken-install to easily get (mostly) reproducible builds would be a big help for testing like this. Currently I do "chicken-install; chicken-uninstall; chicken-install". The first install to ensure that all dependencies are installed; then uninstall to remove the package itself but keep all its dependencies installed; then the third install to get the build output from installing the package but not its dependencies. In 5.x versions, would

    chicken-install -no-install -no-install-dependencies -purge openssl

do the trick?