[Chicken-users] porting eggs experiences and questions

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: [Chicken-users] porting eggs experiences and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2018 12:33:28 +0200

Hi,

I just ported a first egg. (Pigeon-hole, "simple" mailbox with capacity constraint flow control and no timeouts.)

* Question: what's about the .release-info

This https://wiki.call-cc.org/porting-c4-to-c5 was helpful, but does not mention the release process.

How would I mark a release for C5?

Any thought on how to have both a C4 and C5 version in the same repo? I'll have to support C4 for quite a while. Now I wonder how best reorganize the code to work for both.

* Observation: chicken-install does not install dependencies

This is just odd: The .egg file contains (dependencies srfi-18); chicken-install did the download but not install it. So compilation failed until I manually did

chicken-install srfi-18

* chicken-install -n -test

Fails.  One needs to actually install first, then run the test.

Better at least warn that we test the installed version, not the
current one. (I recall this bite me before.)

Best: just load the version from the working directory.

Thanks for all the work which went into C5.

/Jörg