Re: [Chicken-users] Internal Definitions / begin

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Internal Definitions / begin
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:11:31 +0200

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 03:51:09PM +0200, Martin Schneeweis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it expected behaviour that (a) does not work but (b) does?

yeah, this is a bit unexpected, but "let" will start a new
definition body whereas "begin" does not.  Try it in another
Scheme, you'll see the same thing.

CHICKEN extends the standard already a little bit by being more
lenient in where internal defines may be placed, but it's not
a free-for-all.

In CHICKEN 4 we don't detect illegal internal defines, and they
will actually "fall through" and be treated as global defines,
which is a total mindfuck.  In CHICKEN 5 we've improved the situation
by raising an error when an illegally-placed define is detected.

Cheers,
Peter