Re: [Chicken-users] another egg

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] another egg
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 19:48:31 +0100

Hi Coalan,

other users (especially egg authors) please read on, most of this
message is intended for you, not so much addressing Coalan.

Am 04.01.2016 um 15:54 schrieb Caolan McMahon:
> Hey Jörg,
>
> Thanks for the updates.

Great to learn that you are still around here and caring for the egg.

If you like those changes, please pull them in.  This would have the
advantage to reduce clutter/pollution of the eggs listing.

Pls. notify the list.  If you pull those changes in Mario should _not_
include mine into the coop as it would become obsolete soon.  If you
don't I'd ask for inclusion into the coop anyways.

> I think I probably found things more
> complicated writing this module because of wiring-pi calling callbacks
> from other threads (hence pulling in concurrent-native-callbacks etc).

At least you found out that you need to use concurrent-native-callbacks!

   (((What I did is just a very light weight, specialized
      implementation of the same concept.  Plus: drop the use of the
      eggs you summarized under the "etc" lable.)))

After all use of `define-external` and superficial testing might have
left you with the impression that this would have been good enough.

NB: 1st point I'm stressing that here to raise QA awareness wrt. other
egg authors, since I've been bitting by that one elsewhere before.

However: I do not (yet) understand why you mean by "other threads" in
this context.  Other pthreads or other srfi-18 threads from CHICKEN?  If
the latter: I fail to see so far how this could come into play. (Am I
missing something?)  If the former: that would be the same as with
signal handler callable from any other thread. See the related ticket
http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1232 which is open at this time.  The use
of concurrent-native-callbacks should – according to my understanding
chicken-hackers pls. correct me if I'm wrong at that – NOT actually
effect/fix this.  (But may appear to do so under circumstances/by chance
as it changes to much of the code CHICKEN produces.)

> I'm currently using this library without hitting the 'case' issue you
> pointed out...

This begs the (academic) how that's possible that this did work for you.

To illustrate "case misuse" issue at hand:

The code which did not work for me (and which I called "obviously
wrong") looked like this:

(case <x>
  (('a) 1)
  (('b) 2)
  (else (error "s*t")))

while the – let's call it "correct" version would be:

(case <x>
  ((a) 1)
  ((b) 2)
  (else (error "s*t")))

Which is: you should NOT quote the symbols in `case` (here 'a and 'b) in
case if you want to compare <x> to those symbol.

> not the first obviously broken code I've had 'work' in
> CHICKEN 4.10. Starting to think I'm losing it!

@chicken-hackers: How does it come this is working for Coalan?  I'm
using "master" from three days ago, which is something like 4.10.1.  But
I doubt there are any recent changes related.

@-users:  After all: Scheme as a tradition of being a GIGO-language.
(Garbage-In-Garbage-Out)  Thus "broken code" often has undefined
results.  It MAY be working anyway.

/Jörg