Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken works great on Debian noroot on android - an

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken works great on Debian noroot on android - any suggestions for best path for graphics?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:28:55 +0200

Am 25.07.2015 um 09:46 schrieb Matt Welland:
> For any android users who haven't tried it you might like Debian no root.

Ah, interesting a thing.  I did not know about it.

But where to get a device with Android 5?

(Actually I'm confused.  I lived in the untested believe that the
graphics under Android is not based on X.  So how can this work at all?)

> It seems pretty solid on my note 4. The default chicken on debian, 4.9.0.1
> seems to work great. I'm looking at my options for doing some graphical
> stuff. So far this is what I've seen:
>
> ezxdisp - doesn't work due to missing font. I wasn't able to figure out
> which package to install.
>
> cairo + sdl - after installing dependencies the eggs install but
> test-cairo.scm errors out with "Error: unbound variable: foreign-code.
>
> iup - as I recall isn't worth trying due to issues with trampoline code on
> arm.

This assessment is surprising to me.  Maybe I did not yet run into the
issues?

For a couple of days I've been trying this out.  On debian/ARM.

Just yesterday I discovered a severe bug in the iup egg (and reported to
Thomas Chust in private mail).  This sure needs to be fixed.  There is
also an issue with the integration into the i/o polling.  (I sent a
related question to the iup list just minutes ago.)

But otherwise is seems to work quite well.