Re: [Chicken-users] How to bootstrap developing a CHICKEN application?

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] How to bootstrap developing a CHICKEN application?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 11:21:47 +0100

On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 03:57:40AM +0330, Bahman Movaqar wrote:
> A naive question but suppose I want to write an application (not an
> egg); an application in the sense that it will not be installed in
> CHICKEN repository.
> What is the recommended directory structure? How can I run the tests
> (like 'chicken-install -test')? How can I express dependencies? Or is it
> just *my* conception of application and in CHICKEN there is no
> difference between this and an egg?

An egg is an extension (package), that can be installed via
chicken-install.  What exactly it provides is completely up to
the egg's author.

You could write an "application" and distribute it separately,
then tell people what eggs to install, but you could also write
an egg that installs a binary or a script.  This has the benefit
of using chicken-install's dependency management (however flawed
as it may be).  This is very similar to for example the situation
in Python where some applications are distributed as tarballs and
some are installable via Pip, or in NodeJS using Npm, or in Ruby
using rubygems.

Some examples of eggs that install binaries are: hyde, awful,
slatex, {svn-,git-,}egg-author, chicken-belt.

In the end it's up to you to decide what works best for you and
what is easiest for your users.

Cheers,
Peter