Re: [Chicken-users] Travis CI

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Travis CI
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 19:08:14 +0000

Hi Hugo,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 20:25:26 -0300 Hugo Arregui <address@hidden> wrote:

> In case someone is interested, I setup Travis CI in one of my chicken
> projects:
>
> https://github.com/hugoArregui/awful-blog
> https://travis-ci.org/hugoArregui/awful-blog
>
> Sadly, the repo gcc/chicken are old:
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
>
> $ chicken -version
> (c)2008-2011 The Chicken Team
> (c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
> Version 4.7.0
> linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit manyargs dload ptables ]
> compiled 2011-10-17 on allspice (Linux)
>
> Of course, (unless the gcc version is incompatible) a new chicken can
> be downloaded and installed as an install step.

Cool.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Instead of just running "chicken-install -test", you can install
salmonella and run it.  It'll perform some extra checks that
chicken-install doesn't.  In case you run salmonella, you'll probably
also want to run "salmonella-log-viewer salmonella.log" to show details
of the build/test steps.

If you want more environment diversity to test your project, maybe the
egg test infrastrcture provided by CHICKEN can serve you well.  We are
currently testing eggs on the following platforms:

 Operating System  C Compiler  Hardware
 -----------------+----------+---------
 FreeBSD             clang      x86-64
 GNU/Linux           clang       x86
 GNU/Linux            gcc        x86
 GNU/Linux           clang      x86-64
 GNU/Linux            gcc       x86-64

We also run tests with a variety of branch and build option
combinations:

On the FreeBSD x86-64 machine:

 Branch      C compiler  DEBUGBUILD?
 ----------+------------+-----------
 master        clang         no
 prerelease    clang         no

On the GNU/Linux x86 and x86-64 machines:

 Branch      C compiler  DEBUGBUILD?
 ----------+------------+-----------
 master        clang         no
 master         gcc          no
 master         gcc          yes
 prerelease     gcc          no
 stability      gcc          no

If you want to use that infrastructure to test your project, it's just a
matter of adding it to the official coop.  It'll be automatically added
to the daily test procedure.  New eggs are aways welcome!

P.S.: sorry for the spiffy-request-vars bug. :-)  Fixing it is in my
TODO list.

Best wishes.
Mario
--