Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Need to do an install, any changes in the pipe line I should wait for?
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 21:18:29 +0000

Hi,

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 17:57:46 +0000 Mario Domenech Goulart <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:16:11 +0100 Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 08:09:35AM -0800, Thomas Hintz wrote:
>>> I use CHICKEN a lot for my own webapps and the main problem I've found
>>> in using older versions of CHICKEN is in using eggs. You may want to
>>> be very careful to keep the source around for each version of the eggs
>>> you use in case an egg gets updated to be incompatible with the
>>> CHICKEN version you are on and you may not be able to get the old
>>> version after that. (Or maybe I missed a way to use chicken-install to
>>> get old versions and their old dependencies?)
>>
>> You can request the specific version 1.0 of an egg named "foo" using
>> chicken-install foo:1.0
>>
>> Unfortunately, it will retrieve the latest versions of any dependencies.
>> What we need now is a "bundler" workalike for CHICKEN. Hint, hint... :)

I've modified egg-pack-sources
(http://wiki.call-cc.org/egg/egg-pack-sources) to make it respect
versions as specified on the command line.

Here are some usage examples:

We want spiffy 5.1.  If we don't specify any other version for its
dependencies, egg-pack-sources will fetch spiffy 5.1 and the latest
versions of spiffy's dependencies.

  $ egg-pack-sources --output-dir=eggs spiffy:5.1
  Fetching spiffy:5.1
  Fetching intarweb
  Fetching defstruct
  Fetching uri-common
  Fetching uri-generic
  Fetching matchable
  Fetching base64
  Fetching sendfile
  Done. Eggs have been fetched and written to 'eggs'.

If we want a particular intarweb version, we can specify it on the
command line as well:

  egg-pack-sources --output-dir=eggs spiffy:5.1 intarweb:1.1
  Fetching spiffy:5.1
  Fetching intarweb:1.1
  Fetching defstruct
  Fetching uri-common
  Fetching uri-generic
  Fetching matchable
  Fetching base64
  Fetching sendfile
  Done. Eggs have been fetched and written to 'eggs'.

egg-pack-sources will detect version mismatches in case we specify a
version that doesn't match the versions required by requested eggs or
dependencies:

  $ egg-pack-sources --output-dir=eggs spiffy:5.1 intarweb:0.9
  Fetching spiffy:5.1
  You requested version 0.9 for intarweb, but spiffy depends on intarweb
version 1.0. Aborting.

I hope it is useful.

Best wishes.
Mario