Re: [Chicken-users] A couple of questions

From: Dan Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A couple of questions
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 13:43:01 -0700

Bare in mind that both lush and fluxus are FOSS, both GPL, so if you're planning on using it in a game engine that you'll be monetizing be certain that you're abiding by their licenses. Likely this means distributing full source.

If that's not desirable to you, might I suggest the SDL egg (LGPL, so you can dynamically link proprietary code), or the Allegro egg (BSD). I think there's an SFML egg floating around, but I'm not certain where it's at these days. Of course, there's also the doodle egg, and simple-graphics; and you can always write inline C with the inline, bind and foreign eggs.

If you're building binaries with chicken you can opt to statically link everything, and you can ship the extension eggs as dynamic libraries alongside your binary, if you so wish.

Some wiki pages of interest:
http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/4/Interface%20to%20external%20functions%20and%20variables
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/bind
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/inline
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/doodle
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/simple-graphics
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/sdl
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/opengl
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/allegro/index
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/soil
http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/physicsfs

Disclaimer: I am the author of the soil, allegro and physicsfs eggs. Patches are welcome!

-Dan