[Chicken-users] problem from chicken 4.7 to chicken 4.8.X

From: Hugo Arregui
Subject: [Chicken-users] problem from chicken 4.7 to chicken 4.8.X
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:52:31 -0300

Hi guys,

I'm having and strange problem trying to make a code work from 4.7 to 4.8:

its a very simple code that uses JNI to invoke CreateJVM:
https://gist.github.com/hugoArregui/a0a133385d62008b6a74

This is how I compile it and the result (using chicken 4.8.0.3):
$ csc ex.scm -ljvm
-L/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server
-I/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/include/
$ ./ex
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

as you can see, I'm using amd64 and openjdk7. This code works fine, as
far I can tell, in chicken 4.7.0.6.

Is a ugly error and having Java in the middle makes it worst. I'm
complete lost and I don't know what else I can try. Could you give me
a hint of how to debug this or you have a clue about what changes from
one version to another could cause this?.

I'm not sure if this is helpful.

This is the real project:
https://github.com/chicken-mobile/jni

I'm testing it like this:
        chicken-install -s
        csc tests/tests.scm
        tests/tests

the same happens with the tests, they work fine in 4.7 and breaks in
4.8, but.. I found something strange, if I replace the .so files of
regex egg (used by test egg), the code works fine.

In other words:
$ cp /usr/lib/chicken-4.7.0.6/6/regex* /usr/lib/chicken-4.8.0.3/6/

and the tests runs ok.

Seems to black magic to me, and I suppose is just a coincidence, but a
very remarkable one.

Thanks,
Hugo