Re: [Chicken-users] postgresql tests/run.scm line 17 ff.

From: Herr
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] postgresql tests/run.scm line 17 ff.
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 18:48:30 +0100

Am 03.03.2013 17:57, schrieb Peter Bex:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 05:50:30PM +0100, Herr wrote:
>>> I hope you find this more convenient than the shitty functions provided
>>> by PHP.  I always get frustrated having to write code for handling
>>> booleans and arrays in PHP all the time, over and over again.
>>> How is TCL's interface?
>>
>> PHP: with PDO I don't find it so shitty. A lot of query results it get as
>> array of
>> objects, ready to handle to the presentation/HTML layer, because the code
>> goes with
>> the data.
>
> As I understand it, PDO returns everything as string, too.
> So "SELECT 1, '2'::text, FALSE, array[1, 2, 3]::int[]" will return
> one row with column values: "1", "2", "f", "{1, 2, 3}".  You'll still
> need to convert the number to a number, the 'f' to a false boolean
> (tricky! 'f' is a true value in PHP) and parse the array of integers.
> Nested arrays are particularly bad.  Of course if you're not really
> using the advanced features of Postgres (which are its strength!),
> you'll have less problems.

quick answer to the data types, I am using my own PHP REPL loading my
application
system: no problem so far.

address@hidden:~/htdocs$ myreadline.php
Personal interactive mode
Forms ending in braces need a semikolon ';' to execute.
 > $cliuser=54;
 > include 'config1.php';
 > $dbh=Envman::getDBH();
 > $res = $dbh->selectAllAssoc('select 1 < 2 as val1, 2 < 1 as val2, \'Hi\' as
 > val3,
99 as val4 ');
 > var_dump($res);
 array(1) {
   [0]=>
   array(4) {
     ["val1"]=>
     bool(true)
     ["val2"]=>
     bool(false)
     ["val3"]=>
     string(2) "Hi"
     ["val4"]=>
     int(99)
   }
 }

But generally, in PHP, you have to make friends with loose comparison and have
http://php.net/manual/en/types.comparisons.php pinned to your <favorite focus
of view>.

I hope the list will appreciate this OT info.

/Str.