Re: [Chicken-users] Building 32-bit chicken scheme on OS X

From: Daniel P. Wright
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building 32-bit chicken scheme on OS X
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:21:35 +0900

Jim Ursetto (Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:20:05PM -0600) >>
> Dani,
>
> ASSEMBLER_OPTIONS is missing:
>
> make PLATFORM=macosx ARCH=x86 C_COMPILER_OPTIONS="-no-cpp-precomp
> -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fno-common -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -m32"
> ASSEMBLER_OPTIONS="-m32" LINKER_OPTIONS="-m32"

Seems obvious now you mention it!  Thanks, I also managed to build
successfully with these build options.  But,

> The resulting chicken gives me a bus error though and I don't know how to fix
> that.

Me too.

I have had the same bus error when building chicken on an old os x
machine without specifying ARCH=x86-64, which I think was defaulting to
a 32-bit build.  Perhaps 32-bit builds just don't play nicely on 64-bit
macs?  I don't suppose it's a common use-case.

Thanks for your input!  I guess I'll look into it a little further and
see if I can get anywhere with it.  What is a bus error?

Thanks,

Dani.