Re: [Chicken-users] minor build warning (twice) : runtime.c

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] minor build warning (twice) : runtime.c
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 22:48:38 +0200

2010/8/1 John Gabriele <address@hidden>:
> [...]
> Just built chicken on Ubuntu 10.04 (on x86_64) and saw this warning
> come up twice:
> [...]
> runtime.c: In function ‘C_number_to_string’:
> runtime.c:7328: warning: ignoring return value of ‘gcvt’, declared
> with attribute warn_unused_result
> [...]

Hello,

this warning is harmless. Actually, I would consider it a bug in the
system's C headers that gcvt is declared with attribute
warn_unused_result — the return value of this function is always the
same as the target buffer parameter passed to the function and hence
it is unlikely that any information is lost by ignoring it.

But then again, gcvt is a legacy function that was removed from
the most recent POSIX standards anyway and it is probably no wonder if
strange things happen when one uses it ;-)

Ciao,
Thomas