Re: [Chicken-users] stressing the new hygienic macros

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] stressing the new hygienic macros
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:36:08 +0900

Michele Simionato <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyway, this is bad news for me. It means that if I want to define
> my own syntax transformers I have to implement them from
> scratch from low level macros :-(

No, you can't define your own _transformers_ (the things you
pass to define-syntax) with either low or high-level macros.
The limitation is not in syntax-rules, it's in
define-syntax, let-syntax and letrec-syntax.

However, looking at your sweet macros, you can implement
def-syntax in either low or high-level macros.  Just define
a def-syntax macro that expands into a define-syntax macro.

The problem is that then this can't be used conveniently
with let-syntax and letrec-syntax.  So if you want to define
your own macro extensions, you need to provide:

  my-define-syntax
  my-let-syntax
  my-letrec-syntax

These would then not be composable with any other macro
extensions.

--
Alex