[Chicken-users] Web generation + localization.

From: Robin Lee Powell
Subject: [Chicken-users] Web generation + localization.
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:17:05 -0800

So I gots me a web app to write.

I'm going to be using templates as much as humanly possible, so I
can run the same back-end code with different front-end sites.

I also want to be prepped for other (spoken) languages, for similar
reasons, and because I'm nerdy that way. There are libraries that
will allow insertion of arbitrary Scheme into otherwise normal HTML
files (i.e. spiffy's ssp stuff). There are other libraries that
allow writing a web page as Scheme (i.e. hart).

I see myself as having 3 options:

1.  Use an HTML templating library, and wrap everything in <?
(translate "text here") ?> or whatever.  TikiWiki, a project I've
worked on, does this; everything that might need to be localized has
"tr(...)" around it.

2.  Use a scheme-type HTML production library, and extend that
library's functions to handle the translation fairly invisibly.

3.  Hack an HTML templating library somehow so that all
text-containing elements automatically know to go to the
localization/translation code.

Does any one have any other suggestions, or preferences amongst
those options, or anything?

Thanks.

-Robin

--