Re: [Chicken-users] Eggs and licensing?

From: Peter Wright
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggs and licensing?
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:51:32 +0900

On 05/03 09:19:36, Peter Bex wrote:
> First off, there's a difference between GPL and LGPL.  I wanted to
> say most eggs are not GPL but LGPL but a quick overview of the Eggs
> Unlimited page seems to indicate that this is not true, which is a
> shame IMHO.

Out of interest, I did a quick eyeball-grep. The overwhelming majority
appear to be BSD or MIT (and quite a few LGPL), but these 49 are
listed as GPL:

loop                prometheus
softscheme          digraph
dpfw                dyn-vector
mpi                 graph-bfs
endian-port         graph-cycles
format-graph        graph-dfs
format-textdiff     graph-scc
readline            npdiff
qdbm                orders
pyffi               random-swb
q-lang              random-test
estraier            rb-tree
html-plots          sfht
html-stream         srfi-4-utils
scheme-dissect      treap
stream-httplog      lalr
stream-wiki         mat5-lib
SO31                scsh-regexp
atlas-lapack        stream-sections
gsl-srfi-27         sigma
interp1d            md5
matrix-utils        sha1
ode                 currency-converter
probdist            svn-post-commit-hooks
unitconv

...Though it looks like the license listed on the main eggs page isn't
entirely reliable - I looked at the documentation for one of the above
listed-as-GPL eggs (html-stream) and noted that in the document it
describes itself as being in the public domain:
http://chicken.wiki.br/html-stream#license

> Cheers,
> Peter

Pete.
--
I am professionally trained in computer science, which is to say
(in all seriousness) that I am extremely poorly educated.