[Chicken-users] New immediate values (was: DBI)

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: [Chicken-users] New immediate values (was: DBI)
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:31:38 +0100

Graham Fawcett wrote:
There does seem to be a good case for an immediate value that *can* be tested this way, though. John et. al. wouldn't have used (void) in eggs if there weren't.

What about providing a utility to create new immediate values, disjoint from anything else?

The immediate value space is far from cramped, if I'm not mistaken. Such a new-immediate-value function (which could benefit from a better name) would return a new value every time it's called, using for example an internal counter. One could write:

(define sql-null (new-immediate-value))

(define (sql-null? x) (eq? x sql-null))

With the certainty that sql-null won't be eq? to anything else at all, won't be a list, a record, nothing at all except itself.

I think this could have a few uses. (Unless it's terribly broken in a way I can't see, which is quite possible :-)

Tobia