Re: [Chicken-users] Postscript: (Reading binary files)

From: Will Farr
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Postscript: (Reading binary files)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:24:28 -0500

Siegfried,

The fundamental difference between Bigloo and Chicken here is that
Bigloo's module system allows it to resolve all bindings at compile
time.  When you write

(module ....)

(define a ...)
(define b ...)

in Bigloo, it knows that all bindings in the "..."s of the body must
come from 1. the base Bigloo language, 2. imported modules in the
(module ...) clause, 3. previous defines inside this module, 4.
lexically bound identifiers (i.e. in a (let ...) block).  If you refer
to a symbol which is not bound in one of these contexts, it throws an
error.  In particular, there is no notion of "top-level" identifier.

In Chicken, on the other hand, when you write

(define a ...)
(define b ...)

in a file, any symbol which is not bound in 1. a previous (define
...), or 2. lexically (i.e. in a (let ...) block) refers to a
"top-level" binding.  Since all modules (and the REPL) have access to
top-level bindings, Chicken can't know which top-level bindings are in
place until it actually runs the code.

Consider this example:

;; In file.scm:
(define (incr-global-counter!) (set! *global-counter* (fx+ *global-counter* 1)))

Now compile this to a shared library:

csc -s file.scm

And do the following in the repl (called "csi"):

> (load "file.so")
> (incr-global-counter!)
=> error because *global-counter* isn't defined.

As opposed to the following:

> (load "file.so")
> (define *global-counter* 0)
> (incr-global-counter!)
> *global-counter*
=> 1

Chicken simply cannot perform the type of analysis you're asking for
at compile time.  Now, it would be possible to record the line-number
of statement which generates the error so it can print that at runtime
(so the error message is more friendly)---I think Chicken may do this
if you compile with some large debug level, like the -d2 option to
csc.

Will