[Chicken-users] Slow unix-sockets?

From: Peter Busser
Subject: [Chicken-users] Slow unix-sockets?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:17:23 -0000

Hi,

Is it possible that writing to/reading from UNIX domain sockets using the
unix-sockets egg is very very slow? I have been experimenting with two
small programs, one which reads an RFC822 message in a list and sends it
over a UNIX domain socket to the other program, which reads it and prints
it to standard output.

When I connect the two programs using a normal UNIX pipe, then it takes
less than 0.6 seconds for a >100k message. But it takes more than 4
seconds when I do the same over a UNIX domain socket. That is a difference
of a factor 8 or so. It runs on a 1G Pentium III machine. Has anyone of
you experienced this too?

I also noted that write/read is slightly faster than s11n
serialise/deserialise.