Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with cygwin

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with cygwin
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:00:38 -0700

On 9/19/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9/18/07, Shawn Rutledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 9/18/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > What makefile did you use?
> >
> > Makefile.mingw
>
> Invalid. Wrong. Utterly.
>
> mingw != cygwin.
>
> (and (not (eq? 'mingw 'cygwin))
>          (not (equal? 'mingw 'cygwin)) )

"Incidentally, gcc distributed with cygwin is actually multi-targeted --
it can produce binaries for two different platforms -- cygwin and
mingw. By default the resulting binary is supposed to be run on cygwin
platform, but if you add -mno-cygwin switch to command line, it switch
to MinGW target, i.e. produce a binary to be run on MinGW platform."

If you're trying to point out some other incompatibility, I didn't
understand, sorry.  I do understand that regular cygwin programs
depend on cygwin1.dll, but if it can also build in such a way that dll
is not necessary, so much the better, right?

> direct.h is a windows header. You are trying to compile a native windows
> version of chicken, not a cygwin one.

Yes.

> But you could do me a huge favor: get
>
> http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/chicken-2.6.tar.gz
>
> Unpack and build/install it into a temporary directory, and send me
> the resulting build log, with something like this:
>
> cd chicken-2.6
> mkdir tmp
> ./configure --prefix=`pwd`/tmp >build.log 2>&1
> make install >>build.log 2>&1
>
> Please send me the generated file (gzipped!) and I should be quickly
> able to provide a suitable cygwin makefile.

Here you go.