Re: [Chicken-users] Realtime / Multi-embedding

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Realtime / Multi-embedding
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:24:36 -0400

I'm working on a project where:
  (1) I need the gc to be as close to real time as possible
  (2) I would like to have multiple instances of embedeed scheme
interpreters (not being able to directly effect each other).

What is the easiest way / best approximation / is this even possible? in
Chicken Scheme to achieve the above?

I don't do embedded work, but I see that no-one has answered your
question, so I'll have a stab at it.  My best guess would be:

1) do frequent, explicit gc calls. It will increase your overhead but
may lead to more predictable behaviour, and presumably that's
important in your embedded app. You may also be able to evict some of
your objects out of the heap, and avoid gc altogether.  See
object-evict in the documentation for the "lolevel" module, but be
sure to read the warnings too. Of course you can also write some parts
of your app in C and use the FFI to control it.

2) Run separate processes.

(If I am wrong-ish, then hopefully my wrongishness will inspire a
righter soul to correct me. :-)

Cheers,
Graham