Re: [Chicken-users] atlas-lapack egg release 1.0

From: Pierre-Alexandre Fournier
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] atlas-lapack egg release 1.0
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:42:18 -0400

Hi,

I installed the atlas-lapack egg, thanks again Ivan for this great
contribution. Here are some comments I have after testing it today:

1- You need eggdoc to install atlas-lapack, should this be resolved by
chicken-setup?

2- Some or all functions are mutating vectors. In the example in the
documentation, after evaluating the solver for A * X = B:

(atlas-lapack:dgesv order n nrhs a b)

vector a contains the L and U matrixes, and b contains the N-by-NRHS
solution matrix X. Should the fact that mutations occur be in the
documentation? Do you think these functions should be marked with "!"
following the Scheme convention?

3- If vectors a and b contains the solution to the equation, maybe you
could return only the pivot indices so we don't have to use let-values
to use the results. (How do you use let-values with chicken?)

I'll keep on testing it and give you more comments later.

Cheers,

Pierre-Alexandre

2007/3/12, felix winkelmann <address@hidden>:
On 3/11/07, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     I have created Chicken Scheme bindings for the ATLAS-LAPACK
> library. The ATLAS project (Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra
> Software) is an effort to implement linear algebra routines that are
> optimized to take advantage of SIMD architectures such as SSE and
> AltiVec, and it includes portable optimized implementations of all
> routines in the BLAS library, and of a small subset of the LAPACK
> library.
>
>     The atlas-lapack egg provides an interface to those LAPACK
> routines that have been implemented by the ATLAS project. It is
> available in the eggs SVN repository
> <https://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/svn/chicken-eggs/atlas-lapack/>.
> Could someone upload the egg to the web page, please?
>
> Also, in the next few days I will probably create bindings for some
> more matrix factorization routines in LAPACK, and hopefully eventually
> there will be a lapack egg (or eggs) to provide bindings for the
> entire library.

Egg is uploaded. Thanks, Ivan!

cheers,
felix