Re: Re: Re: [Chicken-users] performance issue in xml-rpc

From: Joerg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Chicken-users] performance issue in xml-rpc
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:30:45 +0100 (CET)

> So, it looks like the top two time-consuming procedures are
> read-request and SSAX:XML->SXML.  The third is probably
> http:read-request-attributes.
>
> Any comments?
> Maybe, I would need to look into the chicken source code.

Probably you need to.

My experience from Askemos [www.askemos.org] implementation: parsing
and serializing should be optimised at all cost except for
concurrency.

I'd personally love to port Askemos/BALL to chicken and that's why I'm
lurking here.  (To save reading about Askemos: it's technically STM on
P2P in Scheme.  Users see a byzantine replicated programming
environment similar to Termite.)  There are a few things why my code
is currently pretty tied to RScheme and not easily portable to
chicken+spiffy even though I did my best to stick to R5RS.  (E.g.: I
did not use the RScheme object system no matter how tempting it was.):
* C code in parsing and serializing XML
* new data type for XML (performance and transparancy issues with
  SXML)

So if you care for performance, optimization here will buy you much
more than anything else (like compiler choice).

The BALL code base brings up age old bug in rscheme, I'm afraid it
would do so with chicken too.  I have to make my living too, I just
don't have time to help on this one.

/Joerg