Re: [Chicken-users] any Windows Emacs haters here?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] any Windows Emacs haters here?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:39:39 +0100

On 12/10/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
I've had it with XEmacs, since by default it doesn't even indent my C
code properly.  I'm not about to chase around its stupid configuration
magic invocations anymore.  Plus, I'm totally sick of it crashing 20% of
the time I do a Find, and I'm not interested in becoming a bug tester /
reporter for yet another open source project right now.  At least, not
one I like as little as XEmacs.

I've used ntemacs (I believe that is the official GNU emacs port for Win32)
a couple of years ago and found it quite good. It was quirky in places, but
*MUCH* more reliable than DevStudio anyway.
(I've nevers used XEmacs, though)

In any case, I can recommend GNU emacs. It's the only tool that I absolutely
rely on, now. I don't understand much elisp, but the internal help system is
good enough that (with some digging through examples) one can set up a few
simple key-bindings without too much effort. So, once one has grokked the
basic key combinations, there isn't much in the way of a decent environment
that lets you edit, compile and do the basic filesystem housekeeping (IIRC, I
did use the normal Windows shell (well, "shell" is probably too much of a word
for it), not eshell or cygwin). Indenting is of course very specific to whatever
one is used to. Personally, I just accept what emacs thinks is right.

cheers,
felix

--
http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp