[Chicken-users] eliminate the Chicken Windows binary distribution?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] eliminate the Chicken Windows binary distribution?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:17:50 -0800

The installation path of the current Chicken Windows binary distribution is hardwired to C:\Program Files\Chicken . This can't really be changed. Chicken currently determines all installation paths at compile time, there is no runtime capability for this. Ordinarily, people compile Chicken using CMake or Autoconf, and installation paths are determined then, so this is not usually a problem. But it is a problem when putting up a binary distribution.

Neither Felix nor myself wants to bother with implementing a runtime capability right now. I don't know when it will ever become a priority to Felix, as he's not a Windows guy. It will probably never be a priority to me, as I'm quite backlogged on 3D and game development stuff as it is, with no free time for completely boring "marginal gain" capabilities.

To wit, I propose that we simply nuke the Windows binary distribution and make Windows users compile with CMake. Lotsa effort has been put into making the CMake build painless, far more than the vast majority of open source projects, so I feel no guilt or immorality in such a proposal. Installation behavior will then be correct, and improvable if anyone has difficulties.

Does anyone strongly object to nukeing the Windows binary distribution? This is your chance to speak up and say, "No! No! How dare you! Your idea sucks!" I'm happy to have such a data point, as it would indicate that the Windows binary distribution is actually used by someone. If not, or if crickets chirp, then it's going bye-bye.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every