Re: [Chicken-users] Inch by inch, row by row

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Inch by inch, row by row
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:43:53 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Okay.  I'm now building on Cygwin using both autotools and
cmake in parallel (but only installing one at a time, obviously),
and here's the current state of progress:

0) Cmake doesn't have a "make uninstall", so I wrote a rather
drastic script called "zap-chicken" that attempts to zap
all currently installed traces of Chicken.  Obviously, don't
put it in /usr/local/bin!  I've attached it.

By design, CMake doesn't provide an uninstall. In the FAQ, they state that uninstalls are dangerous. True, but so's breathing. I suppose we could conjure an uninstall, but it would need to be written as a CMake script, not a Unix shell script. At this moment it's not my priority. I'm in the middle of a major refactoring because of the Windows pathname issues. That is the only issue I consider important right now.

1) Both builds work correctly using the current darcs head.

2) "(use srfi-1)" fails in both; it is trying to load
/usr/local/bin/cygchicken.dll, but CMake is building
/usr/local/bin/libchicken.dll, whereas autotools is still
building /usr/local/bin/cygchicken-0.dll.

Felix wuz due to expunge cygchicken.dll. After which, I'd expect both builds to work.

3) Using "ln" to link libchicken or cygchicken-0 as the case
may be to cygchicken eliminates the "No such file or directory" error,
but leaves us with this error instead:

#;1> (use srfi-1)

nursery is too small - try higher setting using the `-:s' option - execution
terminated

Well, this is what partially motivated me to implement nursery support over the past 2 days. The ability to poke at the nursery is there. But is that really the problem? I have no idea. Again, I'm not going to work on that right now. I only care about Windows pathnames... which might in turn solve other problems.

4) Setting any -:s value, even -:s1000000, does not change the above.

I don't even know what it does or how it does. Maybe it has no effect at all, the size of the stack is hardwired at build time, and the message is a legacy. For all I know.

Grumble.  Back to 2.315.

It is difficult to keep in synch with other developers when fixing bugs.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every