[Chicken-users] filtered Sourceforge games

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] filtered Sourceforge games
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:04:29 -0800

I've been looking through Sourceforge for game codebases that could be refactored. Here's a sample filter:

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=83&discrim=275&xdiscrim=7,8,9,358,15,17,190,303,304,305,324,325,175,176,183,186,198,265,271,280

At least in Netscape, Sourceforge isn't remembering more than 7 filter variables at a time, so I've learned to enter the above explicitly. Notes on how to do it:

form_cat=80..86
Most of the relevant game categories. It's easy enough to deduce the numbers for categories, just mouse over them and look at the numbers in their URLs.

&xdiscrim=7,8,9,358
Eliminate Planning, Pre-Alpha, Alpha, and Inactive projects. Unfortunately, some projects think they're clever by listing that they're both involved in Planning and are also Mature. This is pretty useless because Sourceforge doesn't allow OR filters, like [Beta | Production | Mature]. So maybe a few projects get missed here. Oh well. Life's too short. Some projects don't have any development status. Interpret that as "our project is so new that it totally sucks," or "we are cl031355 d00d5 that don't know jack about running a Sourceforge project with any discipline." Either way, a waste of time.

&xdiscrim=15,17,190,303,304,305,324,325
I eliminated licenses that are like the GPL, that mandate source code always be made available. I decided not to exclude the LGPL, since one can always just shrink the LGPL library and write something more permissive on top of it. I also eliminated licenses that require attribution splash screens. As a nominally commercial developer, I reserve top billing for myself. I don't have a problem with attributions in the documentation somewhere. Be advised that when projects show up with a "Public Domain" license, often they're not on the ball, their license is often illegal. Ditto if they didn't even list a license. In either case you'll have to check. I checked with the d2x-xl guy the other day, man was he foul about it. It's a Descent2 clone, rather topical considering our discussion of 3D XPilot. Problem is, when projects go back a long long ways to companies that released some code, that code was usually not released public domain. Nethackers cook this stuff up when they're enthusiastic young-uns who could care less about licensing. Years later, when you pop their bubble they get mad at you, they're emotionally invested in "their" code.

&xdiscrim=175,176,183,186,198,265,271,280
Languages I don't like and don't want to deal with. This eliminates some engine projects that are just adding bindings, but I figure if they're in the sack with the Java developers, it may be good riddance anyways. Again, Sourceforge doesn't have OR filters. I didn't exclude C++ because maybe Chicken can handle it. I didn't exclude Python because I wouldn't mind dealing with it; of course, if a project is only Python then it isn't useful. I don't object to Lua, nor am I interested in it; it does have some popularity amoung game developers though. Some projects don't list languages; this is typical of MOD projects. Unfortunately, MODs are probably not useful for Chicken refactoring. Even if there really is some language being used, you'd have to buy the game to do your project, and that's not what I'm looking for at any rate.

&page=2..4
Needed to access pages 2, 3, 4 of a listing, because Sourceforge's links throw away anything more than 7 filters.

So, having gone through this elaborate exercise, nothing is leaping out at me that I'm wild about. The Roguelikes are among the more obvious candidates for refactoring, but the problem is, they often have no production values. Just curses screens. I see munging someone else's artwork as part of the point. Otherwise, if you have to produce all of your own artwork from scratch, plus worry about 3D export / import issues, that's a lot of work. If someone is enthusiastic about that kind of work, well by all means please make yourself known :-), but it isn't me.

Feel free of course to do your own searches and see what you come up with, either on Sourceforge or elsewhere. I feel like I've now spent about 4x more time on searching than I should have, just to assuage the fear that I might be missing something. I think it's going to take someone else getting enthusiastic about a codebase for me to bite on this. My initial vetting just doesn't motivate me.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every