Re: [Chicken-users] 3D games in Chicken

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] 3D games in Chicken
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 05:03:54 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
Why shouldn't the gaming console of tomorrow use Linux and standard
APIs and tools?
They might; for instance, I believe the Playstation3 is going to use some kind of Linux and OpenGL. The problem is, people usually need to worry about making a profit today. Linux isn't going anywhere as a consumer desktop OS. I think you have it figured correctly, that it could end up being used as an embedded OS, such as for a console or arcade machine. Also of course Linux is relevant as a game server.

If you like the SDL universe then you might check out Agar. http://agar.csoft.org/ It describes itself thusly:

"The Agar project produces a portable and window system independent graphics toolkit for SDL and OpenGLĀ®. For a complete listing of what is included in the core Agar distribution, see the Agar libraries page.

"Agar is being used by applications such as emulators, scientific simulations, visualization tools and SDL/OpenGL games. Some other actively developed csoft.org projects which use Agar include Agar-SG (3D scene graph and physics simulation framework), Agar-SC (scientific computing toolkit which includes a set of Agar widgets), and Agar-EDA (electronic simulation and design toolkit)."

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every