Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken with Open Watcom on Windows

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken with Open Watcom on Windows
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:44:11 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:

Hello!

Bob McIsaac has tried to use the Open Watcom C compiler
to build Chicken, but there are a couple of build/link problems.

Is someone interested in helping with this, or has anybody tried this
already?
Watcom would make a splendid alternative on Windows, since it's fast,
free and easy
to use.
I am only interested in helping with CMake-based builds. CMake does not produce "native" Watcom build files. I don't know anything about Watcom really; I don't know if it has "native" build files. If it more typically uses a standard Unix Makefile, or a Windows NMake file, then that's easy enough. If he wants to talk to the CMake guys about what's needed for "native" Watcom support, I can work with him on that. I'm a founding member of the CMake-Promote list, http://cmake.org/HTML/MailingLists.html , so that is clearly my agenda. If that is too much work for him, and "native" Watcom build files are what he wants, I'm afraid I can't help. I don't see anything "splendid" about Yet Another Compiler on Windows that builds everything differently than what the others already do, especially when MinGW doesn't get enough support as it is.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                               - Ed McKenzie