[Chicken-users] Help: how to survive -visit's sudden demise ?

From: Miroslav Vodslon
Subject: [Chicken-users] Help: how to survive -visit's sudden demise ?
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:53:38 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

Felix, thanks for Chicken! I've been using it for work. I am
implementing an XML->HTML forms translator + a CGI program to receive
filled-in forms data.  Because of various constraints, the whole
project is practical only with something like Chicken.

Up to Chicken 1.33, I used -visit a lot to let the compiler know about
macros defined in huge 3rd party sources which intermix macro and
procedure defs, such as slib and ssax.

Then I switched to 1.43 to get some new eggs (the debugger) and
replaced -visit with -prologue in all Makefiles. The generated
executables work but have stripped sizes like 15MB instead of 5MB
previously.

My questions:

Is there a better way than -prologue (except delving into the
"visited" 3rd party sources to reorganize them, which I would do only
under extreme circumstances) ?

Concerning the reasons for -visit's withdrawal, I was able to find
only this (somewhat terse :-) note in the announce of version 1.38:
"removed all stuff related to `visit'".

Is -visit coming back, perhaps? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
 Mirek

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL