Re: [Chicken-users] Installing eggs on Windows.

From: Linh Dang
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Installing eggs on Windows.
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:18:26 -0400

On 13 Apr 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> chicken-setup is not meant to work on non-UNIXish systems, it uses
> the `posix' unit. You seem not to use cygwin, so the only method
> that works, is to extract the files manually (.egg is just .tgz)
> and compile by hand, then copy ncurses.dll into your $CHICKEN_HOME
> and `(require 'ncurses)' should work, depending on how portable
> you ncurses library is.
>
> If you give some more information (what build platform, etc.) I'm
> sure we can get this to work.

I try to make a chicken-eggs Debian package (for internal use) and I
have some difficulties.

The Debian way of packaging an 3rd party package is:

  as a regular user:
        a. configure the 3rd party package with prefix=/usr
        b. build the 3rd party package in a local directory like
           /home/foo/tmp/chicken-eggs-0.1
        c. install the 3rd party package with
           prefix=/home/foo/tmp/chicken-eggs-0.1/debian/chicken-eggs/usr
        d. package everything under
           /home/foo/tmp/chicken-eggs-0.1/debian/chicken-eggs/
           into a chicken-eggs_0.1-1_i386.deb

  as root:
        e. install (using dpkg) the chicken-eggs_0.1-1_i386.deb into
           /usr

        f. the postins script inside the .deb file would add all the
           necessary entries into the system's REGISTRY.

        g. the prerm script inside the .deb file would rm all the
           appropriate entries from the system's REGISTRY.

I could not find a way to cleanly merge REGISTRY entries. I want to
run `chicken-setup -build' at step b and `chicken-setup -install' at
step c but it didn't work.

I ended up packaging all the eggs as if they're under
/var/lib/chicken-eggs and then run the `chicken-setup -install' in the
postins script. this is ugly and the files under /usr/lib/chicken
produced by postins script are NOT registered with the system package
database.

Is there a way to merge REGISTRY's entries? Or is there a way to
chicken-setup to build a REGISTRY based on what's installed under
/usr/lib/chicken?

Thanx

--
Linh Dang