Re: [Chicken-users] interpreter/compiler mismatch

From: Benedikt Rosenau
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] interpreter/compiler mismatch
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:30:58 +0100

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:23:48PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> Conclusion: the interpreter shouldn't be too forgiving, otherwise you
> will get bad habits and you will be beaten by the compiler. It is
> better to be forced to write a valid program from the beginning,
> that to be forced to change an already written program which is
> only apparently valid.

I beg to disagree. For me, the compiler is the compiler, while the
interpreter provides an environment for scripting and playing with
ideas.

One of the nice things about chicken is that one can compile scripts.
It is true now that not all scripts will compile immediately, as you
point out. However, the extra work needed to get scripts compiling is
less than the work generated by restricting the interpreter to what
the compiler can do.

Regards,
   Benedikt