[Chicken-users] Savannah up and running again

From: felix
Subject: [Chicken-users] Savannah up and running again
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:38:41 +0100

Hiya!

Phew! It seems Savannah is working again. The current CVS
version should be available for anonymous (or not so
anonymous) checkout. For security reasons, Savannah uses
SSH for anonymous checkouts now:

(From I mail I got)

  (2) Anonymous CVS access will continue, but pserver access has been
      discontinued.  We realize that many have become accustomed to this
      form of anonymous access, but we found many security problems in
      pserver and we must avoid it.  Anonymous access can now occur via
      SSHv2.  To do so, use the following CVSROOT:
:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/PROJECT
      or
             :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/PROJECT
So, for example, to get an anonymous checkout of the GNU Emacs
      sources, you would run the following on the bash command line:
export CVS_RSH="ssh"
             cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
The first time you do this, you will be prompted by SSH to
      authenticate the server's key fingerprint.  See (3) below for
      details.
Note that since only SSHv2 is accepted, you must be sure that your
      ~/.ssh/config does indicate use of "Protocol 1" with
      savannah.gnu.org and savannah.nongnu.org.
If you are absolutely unable to use this method for anonymous
      access, and you rely on anonymous access, please contact
      <address@hidden>.  Since SSH is now ubiquitously
      available on Free Software systems, we believe that requiring SSH
      to be installed locally to gain anonymous access from savannah is
      not burdensome.  If it turns out to burden you, please contact us.
In fact, this new method authenticates and secures all anonymous
      access, and anonymous users are now safe from person-in-the-middle
      attacks when they verify the SSH host keys.
(3) The host SSH keys for savannah.gnu.org, savannah.nongnu.org,
      subversions.gnu.org, etc. have changed.  They are as follows:
DSA 1024 4d:c8:dc:9a:99:96:ae:cc:ce:d3:2b:b0:a3:a4:95:a5
          RSA 1024 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5
You will prompted for these the first time you use SSH to connect.
      If you have older keys stored in your known_hosts file, you may get
      a message that says there is a "nasty problem".  If so, remove the
      offending entry from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts, and reconnect.  SSH
      will prompt you to authenticate anew with one of the keys above.

cheers,
felix