Re: [Chicken-users] Anaphoric IF

From: William Annis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Anaphoric IF
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:05:58 -0600 (CST)

 >I'd be even up for discussion, whether even srfi implementations
 >should be included with the compiler, if the latter doesn't use them
 >itself (I'd rather distribute kind of a library set, like the eggs
 >collection, which is there anyway).  I feel that Scheme better not
 >tries to become CL.

        I'd like to think of it as C or POSIX, where there is a core
language which is small, but where genuinely useful libraries are
always available when needed, whether or not the compiler uses them
itself.  Certainly the ultimate omni-preload of CL should be avoided.

 >In any case, I'd rather like a different variant, similar to the
 >handle-exceptions syntax, where you can name the variable.
 >
 >(if* it (member x y) (cadr it) ...)
 >(if* foo (member x y) (cadr foo) ...)

        I like this as a variant to avoid accidental capture, as Bruce
Hoult pointed out.  Perhaps because language is a major interest of
mine, when I hear "anaphora" I immediately think "it" anyway.

--
wm