Re: [Chicken-users] System load

From: tonyg
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] System load
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:22:44 +0000

> I doubt that this is the reason for the disappointing performance.
> I'm quite sure this is more an I/O-subsystem problem...

Almost certainly. chickenlib is very basic - it barely works, let alone
works *fast* :-)

Making the core chicken scheduler work with select() is probably the
best way of making things quicker.

Sorry to all that have tried to get in touch with me re: chickenlib
etc - I've been away recently - heads down working - conceivably I'll
have a bit of time to work on things sometime in February.

> I guess this is the right moment to overhaul the scheduler...
> But that needs care. What we need is a more efficient representation
> for ready and blocked threads.

Also better integration with select() and various styles of threading
combined with I/O. (I think chickenlib polls at the moment, there's no
way of really blocking on I/O...) Careful exposure of threading
primitives would help matters a bit... perhaps

        (thread-block! t)
        (thread-unblock! t)
        (thread-blocked? t)

or something... I can't recall what I wanted changed when I was doing
multiplex.scm, now. Damn, should have written some notes at the time.

Cheers,
  Tony
--
We have to go into the jungle after them and rescue what we can. Just
remember to hang on to your sense of humor and don't let them