Re: [certi-dev] Where are region extents handled?

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Where are region extents handled?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 12:25:03 +0200

Hi Eric, all

We are trying to get regions to work with CERTI RTI (1.3) and are a
bit perplaxed on how to proceed.

Hi Mattias,

DDM and CERTI is ancien story and I should say that I never played with it.
The latest use of DDM with CERTI I am aware of was around 2005.
This is 2 year before I even started to work on CERTI.

Moreover the DDM implementation of CERTI was done at a time when
DDM spec themselves in the HLA 1.3 was a moving target.
Pierre may give you more precise informations about DDM history in CERTI
and in HLA in general.

Since 2007, lots of code rework has been done, e.g. CMake use for cross-platform build,
use an internal (partially generated) messaging system (BasicMessage hierarchy) in order to bring
heterogeneous simulation support, multi-standard API support,
Java and Python bindings  etc...

Since 2007 (when I started working on CERTI) we did not make
some effort to ensure that DDM was still working.
I know it may seem a pitty but our work on CERTI was driven by the need
of the projects using it. There has been no interest in DDM since 2007.

So basically you may discover that DDM is not working at all in the current code base.

Our sim have configurable extent(s)
and have initially tried to implement (de)serialization of the
ddm_modify_region. The ddm_modify_region has an extentSet member which
is a std::vector<certi:Extent>. But the ddm_modify_region is also a
grand daughter of BasicMessage, which have an extent member of the
same type. which one should be used? are both required? We are even
more confused by the fact that BasicMessage seems to implement
serialization of certi::Extent, while serialization of
Ddm_Modify_Region and more are (almost) unimplemented. If someone
could advise on how we should proceed we could try to make regions
work. Thanks.

This is a nice proposal. Before giving you appropriate advice I shall
have a look at that part of the code because I didn't have to look at it
so often :-).

I'll try to give you advice but this may have to wait until may 25th because
I'll be on leave next week. In the meantime you may have a look
at the messaging system of CERTI which is well described in those reports:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/certi/papers/Pancik2010_Thesis.pdf (in english)
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/certi/papers/2010-SpecGenMessage_CERTI-RapportDeStage-LucasALBA.pdf (in french)

and the presentation:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/certi/papers/CERTI-GenMsg-presentation-6june2011.pdf

/Mattias

PS. Also we found that at least 3 functions in DataDistribution.cc
that calls setAttributes(...) without having called setAttributesSize
before, which causes crashes.

I saw your other message and patch; I'll have a look at it soon.

Do not  hesitate to post patch proposal on the tracker:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?group=certi