Re: [certi-dev] startRegistrationForObjectClass Callback missing?

From: Jan-Patrick Osterloh
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] startRegistrationForObjectClass Callback missing?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:56:20 +0200

--- Quoted from Eric Noulard (Date: 16.09.2011 18:24): ---
> 2011/9/16 Jan-Patrick Osterloh <address@hidden>:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> we've got a question concerning the startRegistrationForObjectClass
>> callback in CERTi when using HLA 1516-2000.
>>
>> First of all a Federate A must enableClassRelevanceAdvisorySwitch in
>> order to get the callback startRegistrationForObjectClass. Then it must
>> publish e.g. an ObjectClass X. If later on a Federate B joins the same
>> federation as Federate A and subscribes to ObjectClass X then Federate A
>> will get the callback  startRegistrationForObjectClass from RTI. This
>> works fine with current CVS version of CERTi 1516.
>>
>> But what is if this two federates join the same federation the other way
>> round? Federate B joins the federation and subscribes to ObjectClass X.
>> Later on Federate A joins the federation and publishes ObjectClass X.
>> Shouldn't get Federate A the callback startRegistrationForObjectClass in
>> this context as well? The current CVS version of CERTi 1516 doesn't do
>> so. In other words, the RTI doesn't "remember" that a Federate has
>> subscribed to ObjectClass X when another federate publishes the already
>> subscribed ObjectClass X later on.
> I think it should.
> At least that's how I understand 1516.1 document.
>
>> Is the RTI intended to do so or is this simply a bug? In the bug tracker
>> I found only a hint in bug #29453 to the callback but we think this on
>> is obsolete as the callback is already implemented (at least partly).
> It's a bug, but you see the task #6893 is unfinished,
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6893
> do you want to take over this task?
>
> Whatever your decision,
> you should file a new specific bug report in order to make it clear.
I will have a look at this issue, as soon as we have fixed the windows
build problem.

> Currently NM_Start_Registration_For_Object_Class is only sent in
> Federation::subscribeObject
> and should be sent in
> Federation::publishObject
> as well.
I had a look at the source code, and I see what you mean. But I guess
that it is not just reduplicating the code from subscribeObject into
publishObject? Is it enought to send the message, or do we have to
implement also something in the callbacks (the message receiver so to say)?

> as always patches are welcome.
> I may not have time to do it myself but I may provide any informations you
> need
> in order to implement this.
>
> Slide 13 to 18 of
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/certi/papers/CERTI-GenMsg-presentation-6june2011.pdf
> should give you the big picture of the CERTI messaging system used for
> building any
> HLA service (or callback) with CERTI.
>

>> Another question is about the implementation status of the callback
>> turnUpdatesOnForObjectInstance which is normally activated with
>> enableAttributeRelevanceAdvisroySwitch. We've seen that the switches are
>> already implemented but due to this document
>>
>> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/certi/doc/CERTI-HLA-ImplementationStatusList.ods?root=certi
>>
>> the turnUpdates* callback are still missing. Is there someone working on
>> or is it possible to make a kind of feature request for that?
> No one is currently working on this, and corresponds to the fact that
> Christian
> who had worked on https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6893 did not get enough
> time
> to make it through.
>
> And yes you can file a feature request but in fact it's already the
> purpose of task #6893
> which essentially lacks ... [wo]manpower.
>
> If you want to give it a shot, you may have a look at the companion test
> for this feature:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/applications/HLA_TestsSuite/test_NotificationSwitches.cc?root=certi&view=markup
> which is automatically tested using dtest script:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/applications/HLA_TestsSuite/dtest_test_NotificationSwitches.py?root=certi&view=markup
>
> since you may not know dtest already you  may have look at:
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/tsp/dtest/what_is_dtest.pdf
> (and/or
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/tsp/dtest/dtest-0.5.1.tar.gz)

I will check this out.

Another question on the document:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/certi/doc/CERTI-HLA-ImplementationStatusList.ods?root=certi

What does the gray fields mean, e.g. for the ListFederationExecution?
Are these callbacks implemented?

Kind regards
JPO

--
Dipl. Inform. Jan-Patrick Osterloh
FuE Bereich Verkehr | R&D Division Transportation

OFFIS
FuE Bereich Verkehr | R&D Division Transport
Escherweg 2 - 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
Phone/Fax: +49 441 97 22-524/502
E-Mail: address@hidden