Re: [Ccrtp-devel] Need to adapt configuration files for libgcrypt

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: [Ccrtp-devel] Need to adapt configuration files for libgcrypt
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:05:36 +0100

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:28, address@hidden said:

> Unfortunatly libgcrypt also uses a non-standard way for pkg-config, it
> has its own mechanisms (shell script) that the libgcryt package installs

FWIW: pkg-config is not any standard but only a widely used tool.  It
also leads to complications when trying to build software on non
mainstream systems.  Thus the old way of providing a custom script is
oftne better.  It also has the advantage that it works for
cross-compiling (try using pkg-config to build for W32 - you need to
patch the pc files) and that we can detect an API break and print a
useful message then.

> another additional unnecessary "manual" dependency to maintain. I also
> was puzzeled when I discovered this circular dependency you mentioned.

I don't know what this libgcrypt-devel package from RedHat is so a won't
comment on it.

I am missing some contect: Are you using a sub-configure for libgcrypt?
I wonder why you do this libgcrypt is a standard library and widely
used.

Using AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT may violate the namespace of automake but it is
the most natural way of naiming this macro.  Distributing it with
automake is not a good idea.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner