[Ccrtp-devel] DNS requests

From: Michel de Boer
Subject: [Ccrtp-devel] DNS requests
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 20:59:14 +0200

Hi,

When I transmit and receive RTP packets using ccRTP, I have
noticed that the stack tries to resolve my machine's hostname.
If I have an entry for my hostname on /etc/hosts then all is
fine.

If I don't have such an entry though, then I see that
ccRTP sends out DNS requests (that's how I noticed the
name resolution). In this case a failure response is given
to the DNS request as the name is unresolvable by DNS.
ccRTP keeps sending the DNS requests every 60 ms.
Because of this it fails to deliver RTP packets in
time causing huge jitter.

Why does ccRTP try to resolve the hostname?
I don't see a reason for that. IMHO ccRTP should not
do that.

Regards,
Michel