[Ccrtp-devel] Seeking help porting ccrtp to OpenBSD 3.9

From: Michael Grigoni
Subject: [Ccrtp-devel] Seeking help porting ccrtp to OpenBSD 3.9
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:04:09 -0500

Greetings:

I have built ccrtp-1.3.6 on OpenBSD 3.9 x86; some of the demo
programs work and some do not. I proceeded to attempt a port
of 'twinkle' which is documented on the 'twinkle' yahoo group
forum (problems include thread scheduling and one-way audio).

A gzipped tarball of the OpenBSD build of ccrtp together with
debugging files (backtraces, etc.) are at:

http://www.cybertheque.org/sw/ports/OpenBSD/3.9/ccrtp

I will update this directory with anything useful as work
proceeds; please look at the text files for more descriptions
of what works and what doesn't.

Please consider working on the problems with ccrtp on OpenBSD;
there is a great need since there is no working softphone
of any kind running on OpenBSD.  I don't have much time to
learn the internals of ccrtp and have little meaningful c++
experience (my strengths are in hardware/embedded/machine
language and C).  I would appreciate the opportunity
to test and tweak changes to ccrtp directed to OpenBSD
compatibility.

My build of commoncpp passes all of the bundled tests; the
build is documented at:

http://www.cybertheque.org/sw/ports/OpenBSD/3.9/commoncpp2

Besides the 'demo' programs, it may be necessary to have
regression tests for ccrtp to debug the threads issues on
OpenBSD pthreads.  I did attempt a build of ccrtp linked
to the experimental 'rthreads' facility in OpenBSD 3.9 but
found this to have more problems than using pthreads.
The intent of rthreads is to move scheduling and dispatching
into the kernel and out of userland and to provide more
status of running threads; there is very little activity
on this front at the moment however in the OpenBSD community.

Note that OpenBSD pthreads has a good regression test package
and that it is based on extensions to the Provenzano MIT-
pthreads regression tests and appears to qualify the
implementation on OpenBSD to POSIX 1003.1 1996 s16.2.5.2.

All help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum