[Ccrtp-devel] timing problem

From: Luuk van Dijk
Subject: [Ccrtp-devel] timing problem
Date: 03 Jul 2003 11:09:47 +0200

Hi,

I have 2 timing problems with a streaming audio app. over ccrtp.

I'm using 1.0.1

one is that although I tell my soundcard to sample at 44100 Hz,
it is slow compared to the system clock: I start the timestamp with
getCurrentTimestamp, and increment the timestamp by the number of
samples, but then the ratio timestamp/system clock starts at 1 but
withing some tens of seconds settles around .9825

when the difference between my timestamp and getCUrrentTimsstamp reaches
the ExpireTimeout all transmission stops. (of course)

The second timing problem is that about half of my packets are dropped.
I saw a related discussion on this list's archive, and it was presumably
fixed, (somewhere in the calculation of the reminder of the timeout),
but I still have the problem, although, admittedly, it gets worse if I
replace
                send.tv_usec = (1000ul*rem) / (rate/1000ul); // 10^6 * rem/rate

by .... = (1000*1000*rem)/rate

still I think the first one loses precision at rate = 44100

any ideas?

thanks,
        Luuk