camelot-discuss

[Camelot-discuss] Introduction to Camelot

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: [Camelot-discuss] Introduction to Camelot
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:26:29 +0200

Hello,

  This project aims at creating a set of tools and libraries written
  in Objective Caml [1] (OCaml) and targeted at 2D games. We intend
  to use both SDL[2] and OpenGL[3] technologies.
  As a proof of concept, we intend to rapidly develop a
  AnotherWorld/Flashback games and a baldur's Gate-like one.

  Why OCaml? Because we love it :-) But more than that, OCaml is
  a very interesting language: it is a functional language with
  some imperative features and with object orientation.
  It is a high level and strongly typed language that makes fast
  to write code that works. We intend to use it not only for
  scripting scenes but also as general purpose pieces of code.
  It can compile to bytecode as well as machine code, the latter
  being very fast. So we simply do not need lower level languages
  at all :-)
  Nice SDL and OpenGL bindings are available for this language,
  hence we can start on solid bases.

  About the mailing list:

  Both French and English are accepted within this discussion list.
  Since Sven and I are French people, we consider as much nicer
  to speak in our mother tongue, and as long as we are the only persons
  to work on the project, we'll keep on speaking French.
  However, If you feel personaly interested in the project, do
  not hesitate to ask us for switching to English. We are used
  to speak English as well :-)

  Cheers,

*DISCLAIMER*:

  The Camelot project is, in its entirety, ***unrelated*** to Dark Age
  of Camelot.

[1] http://caml.inria.fr

[2] http://www.libsdl.org

[3] http://www.opengl.org