bkchem-user

[Bkchem-user] General suggestions on bkchem documentation on Mac

From: Mingye Wang
Subject: [Bkchem-user] General suggestions on bkchem documentation on Mac
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:33:25 +0800

Hi,

I am just an unwilling mac user looking to draw molecules without
jumping through licensing hoops. May I offer some suggestions on
bkchem's mac-related documentation?

* The FNA section for Macs should be replaced by the awesome macOS
10.5 bundle. That thing has its own problems, but it is more up to
date at least in form. (Or if you want to maintain the "run the
source" feel, you could just point to the official python.org 2.7.16
package. It has a built-in Tk too!)
* The macOS 10.5 archive needs -- surprise -- updating after macOS
ditched 32-bit x86 support. A newer release of Platypus should do, and
as we speak I am trying to get one packed.

Oh right, speaking of Python 2. I think the INSTALL instructions
should add a comma after "BKChem will run only on Python 2.5 or
newer": "but not Python 3". Please ignore me if it has been already
added -- the two Gitorious links are 404'ing for me, so I can't check
them myself.

Oh oh PPS. The mailing list link in "How can you help" does not seem
to work. Use https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bkchem-user.

Thanks,
Mingye Wang (Artoria2e5)