Re: [be] Verification of release tar balls

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] Verification of release tar balls
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:30:20 +0200

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 11:51 -0700, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
[...]
> My opinion is that far fewer users understand this approach than
> understand the way to check MD5SUMs, and it is less easily automatable
> (because you have to import the specific public key involved) so while
> the level of verification is definitely higher, the chance that someone
> will actually take the time to verify a file this way is lower.  It's
> good practice to provide both, of course :)

Thanks for giving the steps to do the job, and the advantages and
disadvantages to this.

Before starting on this, may I ask if there is going to be anyone who
will use the GnuPG signatures to verify the accuracy of the tar balls?
If there is nobody, there is little point in signing the stuff.

Teus.