Re: [LinuxUser] [be] Cloud Computing and Bible Translation

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [LinuxUser] [be] Cloud Computing and Bible Translation
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:44:48 -0700

On 2010-02-18 10:35, Teus Benschop wrote:
What could encourage you is that there are efforts going on to put all what is now possible in bibledit as we know it into an online environment, accessible from the browser.

I took a quick look at Pyjamas[1] recently. It's a Python port of the Google Web Toolkit, which means you develop your apps in Python using a toolkit not unlike GTK or wxWidgets and then compile it into JavaScript+HTML for deployment on a web site for use in a browser. What really took my interest, however, is that you can also run the same app locally using a facility called Pyjamas-Desktop[2] which keeps the app in real Python and runs it standalone on your local machine. That seems to me almost too good to be true, like "having your cake and eating it too"[3]. (Apologies to non-native English speakers.)

I've even wondered if this would be a great way of prototyping new apps so that people around the world could quickly review the design by trying it live on a web site with no downloads, before turning it into a real application with Pyjamas-Desktop, or even rewriting it in another language/framework such as C#.

--Neil

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyjamas_%28software%29
[2] http://pyjd.org/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_one%27s_cake_and_eat_it_too

From the Pyjamas web site:

A Note to American Readers
"pyjamas" is actually the British spelling of what you would spell "pajamas". In other words, it's not a clever misspelling of a word, it's an even cleverer use of a real word. For this reason, it should not be pronounced PIEjamas. Just say it like you would "pajamas".