[be] Initial Bibledit 3.6 package for Ubuntu available for testing

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: [be] Initial Bibledit 3.6 package for Ubuntu available for testing
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 01:07:13 -0800

I'm part of a small team working to package up-to-date versions of a
variety of bible-related software for Debian and Ubuntu Linux.

I have recently created a Ubuntu package of bibledit 3.6, intended for
inclusion into the official Ubuntu Jaunty universe repository (if all
goes well in the next couple of weeks!).

Meanwhile, for those willing to test it, there is a bibledit package (a
.deb file) for Ubuntu Intrepid available on my PPA, so testers can:

 # 1. Add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list
 echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jmarsden/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" \
    |sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
 # 2. Update apt's knowledge of packages to include this new repository
 sudo apt-get update
 # 3.  Install bibledit
 sudo apt-get install bibledit

 # If all goes well you can cut and paste the above "paragraph"
 # into a terminal window!

You could also download the package by hand and then install it, visit
https://launchpad.net/~jmarsden/+archive/ppa and click appropriately if
you want to try it that way.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This should work fine on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 on both
32bit (i386) and 64bit (amd64) machines, but it *is* a test package, and
all the usual warnings apply -- it may eat your files, or otherwise do
bad things... so please do not try it on critical systems, if you cannot
afford any new bugs, or if you do not have current backups of your data.

Please do report both successes and failures, either to me or to the
list.  If you are running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04, and would be willing to
test a version of this bibledit package for that (older) version of
Ubuntu, just let me know, and I'll make one available.

(For those on low-bandwidth links to the Internet, the .deb package file
is about 3MBytes.)

Thanks,

Jonathan