Re: [be] Ubuntu packages created for bibledit-gtk 4.2.67

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] Ubuntu packages created for bibledit-gtk 4.2.67
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:14:01 -0600

On 2011-07-09 00:36, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
If this fix is generally considered important (i.e. not just for Kim!),
did it trigger a corresponding updated tarball release of bibledit-gtk?

I don't see one later than 4.2 at

http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/bibledit/source/gtk/

No, I made a tarball from a tagged commit in the git tree, so this makes it even less official. OTOH, since Teus saw fit to tag it in the tree, I did feel it had some credibility.

... if there were a suitable 4.2.x source tarball including this fix, I'd be comfortable packaging it at that point.

That would be much better. What I did is very much a stopgap solution.

... my instinct is that 4.3 (or 4.2.1, or whatever it gets called!) should include any important fixes since 4.2, as long as they have been reasonably tested.

I think there are many changes later than the 4.2.67 tag in the tree that we would want to include in a new official release. However, as I'm not using bibledit every day I don't feel qualified to judge what should go into a new release. I took my information from Kim, who badly needed the fix that led to 4.2.67, but Teus should be the one to decide what goes into the next official release, by making a tarball.

However, I would ask that this correspond exactly to a tag in the tree. I found that the 4.2 tarball didn't match any commit in git, and there was no tag called 4.2, only 4.2.1. Although packaging will always be done from a tarball, a matching git tag helps other developers to track what's going on and how a released version corresponds to any development versions they may have made or be making. I think the difference from the 4.2.1 tag was only autotools churn, but I found it confusing all the same.

--Neil