Re: [be] Fwd: bibledit-gtk_4.2-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] Fwd: bibledit-gtk_4.2-1_amd64.changes REJECTED
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:16:19 +0200

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 20:58 -0700, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> > Peter von Kaehne wrote new code that extracts xml data from the Wiki,
> > and produces html data. All files are free.
>
> Good.  Do they now have a clear copyright and licence statement
> somewhere, so we can point to it from debian/copyright and so "prove"
> that they are free?

Each html file produced has a clear copyright and license statement
included as a html comment.

> When people add or edit the wiki content, does the
> wiki inform them that their work will be considered to be under some
> appropriate free licence or other, etc.?

It did not clearly indicate this, but I've updated the wiki, so that it
is now clear: http://sites.google.com/site/bibledit/gtk/about

> Also (not really a licencing issue, just a thought), does the script
> that builds a release tarball run Peter's script and grab the latest
> documentation from the wiki?  If not, how is the source repository kept
> at least somewhat in sync with the wiki?  Should it be?

It does not automatically run Peter's script, neither do I think that
this would be desirable since running the script takes a good while
depending on the speed of the internet connection one has. I often do a
'make dist' just to see if the Makefile rules include the files I
thought it should include. To have to wait each time before it has
downloaded the wiki, I'm not patient enough for that. I've written a
README file though that recommends to run Peter's script before
releasing a new version.

> >> bibledit-gtk-4.2/gobible/{GoBibleCore2.jar,GoBibleCreator.jar}
> >> sourceless binary stuff with different copyright holder
>
> > The copyright holder may still be different, but I believe that this
> > is not a problem, as long as this is mentioned in debian/copyright.
> > The GoBible source has been included as an export from the
> > subversion repository. It means that the binary stuff is no longer
> > 'sourceless'.
>
> The different copyright holder is not a problem as long as it is stated
> appropriately in debian/copyright.  Are we now building the .jar files
> from those sources at build time?

No, this is not happening at present. See below for reasons.

> If everything is going to be really carefully looked at in detail (which
> apparently it is!) , I'm not sure just adding some source code will be
> "good enough", because then there is no way to verify that the included
> .jar really is what you get when you compile the included sources.

I can see the point. Do the Debian Free Software Guidelines require
this?

> If I am right, we might have to further enhance the build system, so it
> does the compilation of the .java files, and then creates .jar files
> from them.  In that case, the currently-included .jar files can and
> probably should then be removed from both the source repository and the
> source archive, since they are not "source" material any longer at that
> point.

There is a ReadMe.txt file included with the GoBible* source code.
Actually there are more than one, since the source has more than one
module. Looking at the GoBibleCore core, this is what the ReadMe.txt
says:

--------------------------------------

GoBibleCore Build Instructions
==============================

Ant is used to build GoBibleCore using the build.xml file. Some
additional libraries must first be acquired before GoBibleCore will
successfully build. These are:

- Antenna
- WTK
- Microemulator

Antenna is an extension to Ant which provides tasks specific for JavaME
application development. It can be downloaded from:
http://antenna.sourceforge.net/

Place the antenna JAR file into the lib subdirectory and modify the
taskdef tag in the build.xml file to point to the JAR, eg:

<taskdef resource="antenna.properties"
classpath="lib/antenna-bin-0.9.13.jar"/>

The next line in the build.xml file sets the home directory of your WTK
installation, by default I have set it to the path to MPowerPlayer on
Mac OS X, however you may want to set it to the WTK directory. Either
way you need either Sun's WTK or MPowerPlayer to build GoBibleCore.

GoBibleCore uses the NokiaUI API and therefore needs the class
definitions in the API. I use the Nokia UI and WMA jar files provided by
Microemulator. You can change these to something else if you like,
either way you will probably need to modify the paths to point to your
Microemulator installation directory.

Once these libraries have been set up you can simply build by typing
'ant' at the command line (without the single quotes).

--------------------------------------

It requires 'ant'. Debian provides this package.
It requires 'Antenna'. Debian does not provide this.
It requires 'WTK'. Debian does not provide this.
It requires 'Microemulator'. Debian does not provide this.

It looks as if the .jar files cannot be built on a Debian system.

So my take is, let's continue to include these .jar files, as well as
the source for them.

> >> bibledit-gtk-4.2/outpost/bwoutpost.exe (and some other files)
> >> Missing source, unknown license?
>
> > Not sure why the source is said to be 'missing' here. The source was
> > included in the Pascal files. These are the *.pas files. The source
> > is licensed under the GPL. I've updated the README files to further
> > clarify this.
>
> OK.  Maybe this has same potential issue as with the .jar files -- we're
> not creating the .exe from the sources at build time.  This is actually
> less problematic, though, because, if necessary, I can "repack" the
> source tarball not to include these files, since they are useless in
> Linux anyway and do not end up in the Linux binary packages.

The .exe file was created using the Borland compiler. The Debian system
includes the GNU Pascal compiler, which is said to support many Borland
Pascal units. I have not verified whether it also supports the newest
Pascal units. Just in case of problems, the .exe file is included. I
have not seen that this inclusion is against the Debian Free Software
Guidelines.

> >> bibledit-gtk-4.2/xetex/ptx2pdf.tar.gz not in debian/copyright at all.
>
> > I cannot resolve this, but trust you are able to do so.
>
> I can add information about it to the debian/copyright file, yes.  So as
> long as there is good copyright and licence info inside the
> ptx2pdf.tar.gz file for me to read and add, this one is easy.

I've checked some source files inside this package. This is what they
say:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Part of the ptx2pdf macro package for formatting USFM text
% copyright (c) 2007 by SIL International
% written by Jonathan Kew
%
% Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining
% a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
% "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
% without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
% distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
% permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject
% the following conditions:

> > What else can I do to assist creating a new package for upload to
> > Debian? Perhaps release bibledit-gtk version 4.3?
>
> Yes, but not yet.  Once we are sure we have all the copyright/licence
> stuff as Debian-clean as we need it, then it would help to create a
> release tarball for me to build a new package from.
>
> HOWEVER:
>
> I'm in the middle of a major project at work at the moment, and I need
> to get a new bibletime package into Debian soonish (a new "serious" bug
> was raised against the older bibletime 2.5 package that is in Debian
> now...).  And I'm now one of the two primary Lubuntu developers, and
> Lubuntu is in a time crunch trying to become "officially" a recognized
> Ubuntu variant (like Xubuntu and Kubuntu)...!  I'll see what I can do,
> but I hope to have a little more time for looking through the new
> updated sources, and then packaging bibledit, in two or three weeks than
> I have at the moment.

I can see that you are involved in an interesting project: Lubuntu. It
will be interesting for those running low power computers for
translation purposes.

About packaging bibledit-gtk, it can wait till such time that it suits
you.

Regards,

Teus